Featured Slider

Thursday, March 31, 2022

Butterflies and Ink Layering

Hello! Happy Thursday!

It's a little gloomy here in Cary today.  I'm hoping the storms that are coming will wash some of the pollen away.  There's been a yellow tint to the air for days and I've stayed tucked inside, protecting my sinuses as much as possible!

Yet, my cards I have to share this morning should brighten up anyone's day.  I finally tried the Negative Layering Technique, a technique shown by Jennifer McGuire a couple years ago.  If you're part of the group, Sharing Handmade Kindness on FB, it was the March Challenge there.  I don't know how I hadn't seen that technique before this month.  I love it!  And I love how my cards turned out!


For these cards I I used colors from the current Sunday Stamps Challenge, which is a color challenge.  Colors used for the backgrounds are all Catherine Pooler Inks: Martini, Glitz,  Party Dress and Cranberry Fizz. 

On the first card, above,  I chose butterfly stamps from Happy Butterflies, (Catherine Pooler Designs), stamped in Midnight ink.  I then masked them off using their coordinating dies and ink blended the background.   After ink blending and drying this one, I stamped the Hero Arts Fancy Script background stamp in Cranberry Fizz over the whole panel (butterflies still masked). I ran a heat tool over it to dry quicker again. Next, I placed a stencil, Flourishes & Wimsy over the whole panel and tapped Unicorn White pigment ink by Hero Arts in places with a small sponge dauber.  The sentiment I stamped in Midnight ink several times and then with WOW embossing ink and embossed with clear embossing powder.


The same technique was done for the card above except after ink blending, I stenciled over the panel using the same colors with a Scribbled Circles stencil (Catherine Pooler).  The butterfly stamps are from the set, Take Flight (Catherine Pooler). Then, I left the stencil on top and stamped through it with the Pine Forest background stamp (Catherine Pooler) with Unicorn White pigment ink by Hero Arts. The sentiment is from two different sets.  The YOU I die cut three times from black cardstock and glued together for dimension.  

For Following Challenges:


Thanks for visiting my blog! I hope you stop by again soon.

Inky Blessings!



 

3 comments:

Heather said...

Beautiful, Nance - that background is spectacular! Thanks for the play by play on how to achieve it! The black and white details really pop! Thanks so much for playing at Sunday Stamps!

stampwithamyk said...

Beautiful cards! Love those butterflies and your backgrounds are fantastic! Thanks for joining us at Sunday Stamps, hope to see you again soon!

Bonnie said...

WOW! Both of these cards are awesome, Nance! I love the colors you've used and how bright the butterflies look against the rich background! So much interest with the stenciling and background stamping! These make me want to try this technique!