Featured Slider

Saturday, November 17, 2018

Special Thank You

Good Afternoon, again!

I have another post today.


It's a special post of thank you cards I made to thank those who donated to my PKD Walk and a friend's walk this fall.  If you're new to my blog, you'll notice on my sidebar a photo advertising the walk.  You can click on the link above also to learn more about PKD.


Short synopsis, I was diagnosed 22 years ago with ADPKD, adult onset polycystic kidney disease, which is an incurable disease that about 600,000 adult Americans have.  There is also a children's version, ARPKD, which children are born with.  PKD commonly is hereditary, meaning if a parent has it, their children have a 50% chance of developing it in adulthood. Some, however, don't have a family history and contract it by having a mutated gene for the disease. 

PKD is the growth of multiple cysts on the kidney that grow, enlarging the kidney and progressively affecting kidney function to the point of needing dialysis and a kidney transplant and then sometimes also resulting in death. Many, especially women, also have polycystic liver disease as well.  I have more PLD than PKD.  I'm very lucky as my disease has not progressed and I may never need dialysis.  My two now adult sons, however, both have a 50% chance of developing the disease sometime in the next 30 years.  That is why I fundraise -- to help fund research for a cure.  There is now some treatment that can slow the growth of cysts, but there is still no cure.

Anyway, I made a bunch of thank you cards for donors of my walk and of my friend, Jody's walk in Arizona.  Jody and I met off the PKD Facebook page a couple years ago.  I donate thank you cards to her, as part of my contribution to her walk.  

This year the Hubs and I went to Charlotte and walked with the Charlotte PKD Chapter.  We met some very nice people, all affected with PKD, either as the one with PKD or as a family member or friend.  

So I'm sharing some of the cards today...


I used a leaf stencil by Altenew and sponged an array of colors to coincide with the PKD logo (see image at top of post).  However, I wound up using a dark blue where they have a more dark teal color.  I adhered the stenciled panel to a cardbase that I inked the edges with Fiesta Blue.  The blue strip under the sentiment is also a Fiesta Blue inked panel.  I white embossed the sentiment


Card Supplies:
Stamps: Sentiment- Note of Thanks (Catherine Pooler).
Paper: White cardstock -Neenah Solar white 110 lb.
Ink: Sweet Sixteen, Royal Treatment, Juniper Mist Fiesta Blue, Garden Party.
Extras: Leaf Burst stencil (Altenew); Label Die (Taylored Expressions).


Thank You Blessings!
 photo signaturesmall_zpsbe1728fc.jpg

2 comments:

Loll said...

I noticed right away the logo at the top of your blog was the colours of your cards. Beautiful colours and a great inspiration for your design. I didn't know anything about ADPKD, so thank you for your write-up. It's wonderful that your disease has not progressed, Nance. And you should be proud of all your efforts for fundraising to find a cure. Can I still donate to your walk? Let me know. xx

Bonnie said...

What a beautiful stencil, Nance! The colors have blended so beautifully to make fantastic thank you cards. Let me know how to make out a check.