Featured Slider

Friday, March 8, 2013

A Man's Perspective



TGIF Everyone!  I guess you could say that March has definitely come in like a lion.  So hopefully it will go out like a lamb.  Here in the Salkeld abode we are gearing up for a big game tomorrow, known in the Triangle region of North Carolina as the Tobacco Road Brawl or Battle of Blues --- UNC Tarheels VS Duke Blue Devils.  And, as most of you know, the Salkeld house sides with the Tarheels since our youngest, Ben, is a sophomore there.  And, the big game also ushers in spring break so our empty nest will be partially filled come tomorrow night.  Of course, I am not complaining because I do love having one or both my boys home and any given time.  The quiet will be replaced with the sounds of ESPN humming on the flatscreen and the little man in the frig will get a hefty workout!  Soda cans, chip bags, smelly socks, beating drums, and laundry bags, I welcome you all, at least for a week!  

So it is pretty fitting that this post is for a masculine card for Addicted to CAS using the sketch at Retrosketches and a challenge for Moxie Fab.  I recently purchased some new masculine designer paper and a couple new masculine stamps, as my supply of all things masculine as far as stamping goes, is few and far between.  Go figure in a house of testosterone!  LOL!  Anyway, I thought the wood grain paper from Fancy Pants Design "Swagger" pad was really cool.  I made my card out of kraft cardstock with the wood grain paper for a background.  And, I liked it even better when I pulled out a wood chip sample I got from a local flea market.  It is actually a sample for wood flooring.  It came on a strip of four different colored samples all that exact size.  I'd been waiting for the right project to use them for and Voila!  Today was the day!


I wasn't really sure the stamping was going to work on the wood sample, but I forged ahead.  I lightly sanded the top of the sample and then decided to stamp with Versamark and use clear emboss powder.  I really love how it came out!

I also decided to use some craft sticks (good ole popsicle sticks really, in bulk).  I had to cut them a bit and wrapped them with masculine washi tape and adhered them to the wood grain paper background.  I bumped up the stamped wood panel with pop dots, two thicknesses on the right side and one thickness on the left on top of the washi taped sticks.  To top of the card, I stamped the sentiment in Staz On Jet Black underneath the right side of the wood panel.




SPIES: 
Stamps:  Men & Sentiment(Tim Holtz Stampers Anonymous).
Paper:  Kraft cardstock.  DP -Swagger (FancyPantsDesign)
Ink:  Jet Black (Staz On).
Extras:  Wood panel; wood craft sticks; washi tape; pop dots.

I am really loving this card!  Going to have to use some more of those wood panels soon!

x_3d6d20b0 photo x_3d6d20b0.gif

2 comments:

Jessi Fogan said...

I think it's self-defense! I don't have a lot of masculine stuff either, and it's totally because my house is filled with stinky boys. I need all the girl I can get ;)
I LOVE this stamp, and how clever to use the sample like that! Now to see if I can find some of those :)

Paper Crafts & Scrapbooking Editor said...

Hey Nance! Thanks for linking this up to the Washi Tape Challenge in the Moxie Fab World. I'm so glad you joined in on all the fun! :)