Featured Slider

Saturday, February 10, 2018

Forever You

Happy Saturday!

I hope everyone is having a nice weekend.  It's rainy but spring like here in the Triangle of NC.  Actually, the perfect kind of day for crafting and Carolina basketball!  Just excuse me, I'm a HUGE UNC basketball fan.  I have my youngest son to thank for that as he has loved UNC since he was 9 and is also a UNC grad, so they're family.  ;D 

Anyway, I played around with a new technique yesterday - faux enamel with embossing powder.  Here is a tutorial I used, thanks to fellow crafters, Nancy Littrell and Bonnie Klass.  And another tutorial.

Thought I'd share my three first attempts at this technique ---


In the photo above, the hearts are in order in which I made them.  I didn't have any white chipboard, so I used some thick white 110 lb Neenah cardstock.  After I did them I thought I probably should have tried my other 110 lb cardstock by Recollections as it is a little thicker than the Neenah but not as bright a white. 

Anyway, I discovered the cardstock had a tendency to  curl up due to the thickness of powder.  When I tried to flatten the larger heart under a book, it cracked some, so I wound up not using it.  You can see too that my second attempt, the larger heart, is much more course and bumpy. That could have had something to do with it cracking as well and the fact that I left the parchment paper on it longer . I think the key is keeping the heat tool on it as you peel off the paper to get a more smooth look. 

I also found a difference in heat tool effectiveness as well.  I have a newer Wagner heat tool with a more narrow tip and I have an old (10 years old) Marvy Uchida heat tool with wider tip.  The Wagner one tended to get super hot and began to smoke and burned the parchment paper quicker.  So I used my older one and it seemed to actually melt the powder better with less burning of the parchment paper and it didn't smoke.  

I think it is a really cool technique and I am going to pull out a few different dies and other powder colors and try it again.  So there you have my two cents worth on my first experience at faux enamel with emboss powders.  

I wound up using my 3rd attempt on a card ---
 SUPPLIES:
PAPER: White cardstock (Neenah 110 lb); Pink vellum (Recollections maybe); Gold foil sheet (Stampin' Up).

EXTRAS: Heart die (Spellbinders); Forever sign die (Technique Tuesday); You word die (Cas-ual Fridays); Swoosh heart die (Poppystamps); Pink, red and dark red emboss powders (Recollections); Super fine gold emboss powder (WOW); dimensional tape; Tombo Aqua Mono glue.

I kept my card CAS so the heart would be the main focus. I used pink, red and dark red emboss powder.  They're so old I don't remember the brand, maybe Recollections.  I also added some WOW super fine gold powder.  


For Following Challenges:





Loving Blessings!
 photo signaturesmall_zpsbe1728fc.jpg

16 comments:

Christine Alexander said...

Nance, your faux enamel looks so yummy, I could almost dip my finger in and scoop it up to eat. Absolutely awesome :)

Loll said...

You had great results with the faux enamel, Nance!! The colours of your hearts are so pretty! LOVE all the gorgeous texture on your hearts card with the sweet pink swoosh. xx

nancy littrell said...

Wow..Gorgeous faux enamel die cut hearts, Nance. I am so impressed with your 1st try and LOVE your beautiful CAS design for your finished card. TFS all your tips also. I used SU Thick Whisper White CS for my birds without any curling, but maybe because my heat tool did not get as hot and had no smoking or burning of parchment paper. I used my SU heat tool..the newest version. TFS your beautiful card and all your sample hearts. Hugs

Bonnie said...

I love your hearts, Nance! They remind me of cookies dipped in chocolate with maybe some raspberry sauce too! Perfect for Valentine's Day! Can't wait to try this!

Julia Aston said...

A great job using this fun new technique Nance! Love the colors you used and I think all 3 of your hearts will look beautiful on cards! The gold die cuts make this all look so elegant! Julia xx

Anonymous said...

Very cool, Nance. Thanks for playing along at AAA Cards.

Jane said...

That's a fabulous technique and I love how the finished heart reminds me of strawberry ice cream. Super card Nance. Thanks for joining in with the current AAA Cards challenge.

Mac Mable said...

Thank you for sharing all the tips etc on this fabulous technique. Great card, so unique and fabulous x

Catherine said...

Your card is beautiful and I love the enamel embossed hearts. Thanks for joining us on the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge.

Cathie ♥

Papercraft Boutique said...

Great CAS design with your gorgeous faux enamel heart as a focal point, Nance! Thank you for sharing all the tips! I want to try the technique sometime soon. Hideko :-)

Susan said...

Great faux enamel! I'm looking forward to trying it when I'm over at Loll's on Sunday! Love the blend of colours you used and the pretty swoosh die behind the heart!

Lilian said...

Great technique! I might have to try! Lovely details in gold!
Thank you for joining us at Creative With Stamps!
Lilian
The Leaf Studio

Gwendolyn said...

Wow I love the effect of this technique, I will have to give it a try! Looks like the effect when I do acrylic pouring and smooshing Thanks for sharing it with us at Creative with Stamps and we hope to see more of your beautiful creations ! Hugs Gwendolyn

Neets B said...

Such fabulous texture and interest, just the tiny challenge thumbnail drew me in!

Cheryl said...

This is a new technique to me and I love your results. Beautiful CAS design! Thanks for sharing at AAA Cards challenges.

Maria Valente said...

Wow, love your technique! Thanks for sharing at Creative With Stamps Challenge this month.
Hugs, Mary (DT)